Ionic air purifiers have their advantages over your typical HEPA air purifier.
First – there’s no need for a filter at all!
Second – ionic air purifiers are efficient at purifying the air. You’ll see in this list a recommended ionizer that can eliminate the smallest particles possible! (0.01 microns!)
It’s reasons like the ones above that can attract a lot of people to take a look at ionic air purifiers.
If you’ve landed here, then you’re probably one of those people!
I hope I can help you with this article. The goal of this article is to review & recommend to YOU the 5 BEST ionic air purifiers I’ve found out there right now. (Yep that’s right – 2019!) I’ll be going through the key specs and features, helping you swim through all this mumbo-jumbo information. Hopefully, you end up making the right decision on an ionic air purifier that best fits your needs!
- In A Rush? Here’s Our Recommendation
- #1 – The Best Ionic Air Purifier – Ivation 5-in-1 Air Purifier
- #2 – Surround Air Intelli-Pro XJ-3800
- #3 – Honeywell HFD-120-Q QuietClean Tower
- #4 – Best Ionic Air Purifier Under $100 – O-ION S-3000 Ionic Air Purifier
- #5 – Envion Ionic Pro Turbo
Comparison Table of the Best Ionic Air PurifiersClick the product name to skip to that review!
|Product Name||Ivation 5-in-1 Air Purifier||Surround Air Intelli-Pro XJ-3800||Honeywell HFD-120-Q QuietClean Tower||O-ION S-3000 Ionic Air Purifier||Envion Ionic Pro Turbo|
|Coverage (sq ft.)||3700||500||170||100||500|
|Power Consumption||54 W||80 W (at max)||43 W||7.5 W||12 W|
|Warranty||1 year||3 years||5 years||N/A||1 year|
In A Rush? Here’s Our Recommendation
The Best Ionic Air Purifier – Ivation 5-in-1 Air Purifier
- 6 filtration methods including a HEPA filter!
- Electrostatic grill on the front collects fallen particles so nothing lingers
- Simple to control
- Easy to move around the house
- Cherrywood finish gives it an old-school radio look
- Massive coverage area
- Energy efficient
Put simply: the Ivation 5-in-1 does it all. Everything about this air purifier makes it well worth it. You’ve got multiple filters (including a HEPA) to thoroughly capture airborne germs & viruses. On top of that, you’ve got a UV lamp & photocatalytic filter to prevent the growth of fungi and mold. The cherry on top – an ozone generator to replace your old unhealthy air with a fresh outdoors smell.
Everything that’s been listed is all packed into this tiny little ionic air purifier. The size of this makes it easy to move to whatever room you need.
Lastly, (and maybe most importantly) doesn’t come close to costing what you think it would. It’s not even double the price of our best budget pick! This air purifier is extremely affordable and well worth the cost. It’d be hard for me to NOT recommend this to you. Seriously, it’s that good. No doubt the best ionic air purifier.
Best Ionic Air Purifier Under $100 – O-ION S-3000 Ionic Air Purifier
- Has only the features you really need
- Efficient purification through the ionizer
- Permanent washable filters
- Ridiculously low power consumption costs you virtually nothing! (Uses 1/10th the electricity required to run a lightbulb while on)
- So quiet you won’t even hear it
The S-3000 by O-ION is the definition of a budget ionic air purifier. They picked the features that were only absolutely necessary to have an efficient air purifier and built them.
The power consumption on this air purifier is insane. Seriously, I have never seen an air purifier use as little electricity as this one.
Permanent & washable filters let you use them over and over again, saving money that would’ve gone towards replacement filters.
Seriously, this air purifier is PERFECT if you’re looking for something on a budget.
#1 – The Best Ionic Air Purifier – Ivation 5-in-1 Air Purifier
Coverage: 3700 sq ft.
Power Consumption: 54 W
Warranty: 1 year
The Ivation 5-in-1 air purifier I can truthfully say is 100% the best ionic air purifier out there right now. It just does so much, you can’t beat it. I mean seriously?! 5 in 1! This air purifier contains:
- A HEPA filter – Captures 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.03 microns.
- Activated Carbon filter – Deodorizes your surroundings.
- Ionizer – Produces negative ions to breakdown and destroy harmful particles.
- Ozone Generator – Disperses activated oxygen to destroy odors and provide your home with a fresh nature smell.
- Germicidal UV lamp – Destroys and actively prevents the growth of bacteria, germs, mold, and mildew.
- Photocatalytic filter – Works alongside UV light to destroy micro-organisms
(I know that was 6 but technically the UV lamp doesn’t count as a filter! Forgive me?)
Seriously, for this air purifiers size, I can’t fathom how Ivation managed to fit all of this goodness into this little thing! It filters and cleans your air while freshening & preventing it from getting worse!
Equally as incredible as the filters – the coverage area on this ionic air purifier is insane! I’ve never seen an air purifier have an area of coverage as high as 3700 square feet. This tiny little air purifier will stop at nothing to make sure every corner of your house is clean!
The front grill of the Ivation 5-in-1 is an electrostatic plate. This means it will be able to collect fallen airborne particles after they’ve been dealt with by the ionizer. This is something a lot of ionic air purifiers have a problem dealing with, so it’s good to see the Ivation handles this problem well.
The sleek cherry wood finish on this air purifier gives me a serious retro, old-school radio look. And by the looks of it, with the two knobs used to control the Ozone generator & Ionizer/UV light, I think that’s what Ivation was going for too!
Through some extensive research, I’ve found out two things that are important to keep in mind if you end up buying this air purifier!
- It’s recommended that you set this air purifier up to be at least 4 feet above ground level. This goes against common practices but due to the smaller size of this air purifier, it makes sense. It’s also suggested that you try and place it in an open area. On a table would be perfect, ideally, you’ll want at least a foot of space in every direction for the air purifier to get the best results.
- This is a bit more of a stern recommendation: Don’t put the ozone setting above 2 as it can become irritating to your lungs. If you didn’t know, high ozone levels can have harmful effects on your health. This air purifier is extremely powerful. It’s the reason I’ve given it the #1 spot of best ionic air purifier. It can come with a cost though, and this is it. So PLEASE be careful & monitor the ozone output with this air purifier. REMEMBER THE 3 Ps! Avoid running the ozone generator when People, Pets, or Plants are in the area.
Pros & Cons
|- Packed full of useful filtration |
- HEPA filter collects the ultra-fine particles
- Does an incredible job of removing odors
- Absolutely HUGE area of coverage
- Easy to control with knobs
- Energy efficient
- Small size makes it easy to move around the house
- Retro design
|- Very strong ozone production (Don't put it higher than level 2)|
#2 – Surround Air Intelli-Pro XJ-3800
Coverage: 500 sq ft.
Power Consumption: 80 W (on highest setting)
Warranty: 3 years.
The XJ-3800 is one of the most thorough air purifiers I’ve ever seen when it comes to its 7 stage purification process.
The 7 stage purification process within the XJ-3800 is as follows:
- Pre-Filter – Removes larger particles to increase the effectiveness of the filters further down in the process.
- Electrostatic Dust Collector – Magnetically attracts particles & pollutants left on the ground.
- True HEPA Filter – Removes 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.03 microns. Finest & most efficient filter in the process.
- Activated Carbon Filter – Traps and deodorizes household chemicals and odors.
- Photocatalytic Filter – Removes airborne VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds).
- Germicidal UV Light – Prevents and inhibits the growth of bacteria, viruses, mold & mildew.
- Negative Ion Generator – Neutralizes bacteria, dust, and allergens, making them easier to breakdown.
One of the most well thought out features on this air purifier is the number of areas for air inflow. The idea behind having a high number of areas for air inflow means airflow & purification is maximized with this unit. Through the high amount of air it can take in, it can get the job done ASAP.
Air Quality Feedback For You
One of my favorite features with the XJ-3800 is the feedback it gives you when it comes to the air within your house. There are two indicator lights featured on the XJ-3800 (Pictured on your right),
- The first is a 4 stage indicator light that tells you the quality of your air. The 4 ratings of your air quality are: 1) Clean 2) Some Pollution 3) Significant Pollution 4) Severe Pollution.
- The second indicator light is a Clean Air Monitor. The second indicator light tells you what type of airborne particles are being detected the most by the sensors. The three categories of particles this sensor will indicate are 1) Odor 2) Dust 3) Allergens.
Lastly, the Intelli-Pro XJ-3800 includes a quiet setting to reduce the noise level down to its lowest setting, which is 20 dB. To give you an idea of how quiet that is, 20 dB is the sound you’d hear if somebody tried to whisper to you from 5 feet away. So it’s safe to say that while the XJ-3800 is in its quiet mode, you definitely will not be noticing it!
Pros & Cons
|- Extensive & efficient purification process ensures the cleanest air possible|
- Plenty of air inlets allows for maximum air flow through the unit
- Air quality indicator lights let you know what's in the air around you
- Extremely quiet on lowest setting
- Good area of coverage
|- Not the best looking ionic air purifier out there |
- Not Energy Star certified (Still very low power consumption)
#3 – Honeywell HFD-120-Q QuietClean Tower
Coverage: 170 sq ft.
Power Consumption: 43 W
Warranty: 5 years.
The HFD-120-Q is an extremely efficient air purifier due to its IFDAir filter. This filter (along with a washable pre-filter & ionizer) removes 99.9% of particles as small as 2 microns.
Circulating new, fresh air up to 5 times in an hour, the air in your house will always be receiving a thorough and frequent cleaning!
Built to Last For as Long as You Need
While the HFD-120-Q is extremely efficient at filtering out harmful airborne particles, it’s equally as durable and long-lasting. Every filter in this air purifier is permanent, washable and/or vacuumable! These filters do not need replacing whatsoever. Although you may choose to replace them if you want (replacement filters for this air purifier are quite cheap as well so that’s a big plus).
To help you figure out when these filters need cleaning, this air purifier has a filter life indicator so you can make sure everything’s running smoothly and cleanly.
The biggest benefit of this air purifier’s filters being permanent & cleanable is that you’ll be saving a lot of money that would’ve been going towards replacement filters! Pair this with the fact that this air purifier is Energy Star certified means that this air purifier will be saving you plenty of money in the long run.
On top of it all, this air purifier is backed by an incredible 5-year warranty! That’s 5 years of worry-free usage!
Pros & Cons
|- Efficient filtration|
- All filters are washable
- No need for replacement filters
- Filter life indicator
- Energy Star certified
- Durable & long-lasting
- 5 year warranty
|- No HEPA filtration to capture ultra-fine particles |
- Smaller area of coverage
#4 – Best Ionic Air Purifier Under $100 – O-ION S-3000 Ionic Air Purifier
Coverage: 100 sq ft. (Company claims 500-1000 sq ft. but really works best in 100 sq ft.)
Power Consumption: 7.5 W
The O-ION S-3000 is an excellent ionic air purifier if you’re shopping on a budget. You’ll find with this air purifier that it’s worth every dollar you spend! Usually, when people recommend an air purifier as a good budget pick they really mean cheap junk. I can guarantee this isn’t the case with the S-3000.
The O-ION S-3000 has the features needed for an ionic air purifier to be both efficient and useful in your household.
Giving You the Features You Need & Removing the Features You Don’t
The appeal of the S-3000 (besides price) is that it cuts out most of the unnecessary features common in air purifiers. Instead, opting to keep only what’s necessary and vital to doing its job (keeping your air clean).
For starters, its got an electrostatic ionizer that removes airborne pollutants as small as 0.01 microns, making it one of the most efficient ionizers on this list of best ionic air purifiers. Unfortunately, this air purifier doesn’t contain a HEPA filter so it’s not going to pick up the ultrafine particles a HEPA certified air purifier normally would.
Regardless of this air purifier’s lack of HEPA filter, it still does quite a good job at cleaning up the air in your home. The 3 key features this air purifier has that make it an excellent ionic air purifier are:
- Electrostatic Ionizer
- Activated Carbon filter – Deodorizes household chemicals and odors.
- Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation Light – Destroys and prevents the growth of bacteria, viruses, and germs.
- Ozone Power – Absorbs odors and VOCs, while giving the air a fresher smell. (With a ppm of less than 0.05, the ozone emissions from this device are certified safe by the EPA, meaning no harm to your health!)
The S-3000 by O-ION is a great pick for anybody on a tight budget. The cost of this air purifier is less than $100 and it’s extremely cheap to use & maintain over the long run.
The S-3000 has a permanent air filter that’s cleanable, you’ll be able to save money on what would’ve been replacement filters!
You won’t even notice a bump in your power bill since the operating power level of this air purifier is among the lowest I’ve ever seen. 7.5 W of power used is the equivalent of 1/10th the power you’d use in a fluorescent lightbulb. When you look at it like that it’s crazy to think how little power this air purifier uses.
An additional benefit of the S-3000’s extremely low power consumption is that it makes the operating noise level so ridiculously quiet you won’t even think it’s on!
Pros & Cons
|- Super affordable|
- Efficient ionizer
- Permanent washable filters
- Will cost you almost nothing to use
- No filter replacement costs
- So quiet you won't even hear it running
|- No HEPA filter |
- Extremely low powered unit means slower air purification process
- Very small coverage area
#5 – Envion Ionic Pro Turbo
Coverage: 500 sq ft.
Power Consumption: 12 W
Warranty: 1 year
The Envion Ionic Pro Turbo is our #5 pick on this list for best ionic air purifiers. This air purifier has a little bit of every feature in it.
With OxygenPlus technology, the Envion Pro Turbo is able to convert ozone and smog into breathable oxygen. On top of that, this air purifier comes equipped with an air quality indicator. So if you’re not a believer in the OxygenPlus technology, eventually you’ll see it for yourself!
Similar to the S-3000 at #4, the Ionic Pro Turbo is quite budget friendly as well. It’s priced affordably and uses a permanent filter, saving you money by not having to purchase filter replacements! The power consumption of this unit is also quite low, you won’t even notice a rise in your power bill.
The Ionic Pro Turbo has quite a unique purification process. Using blades found in the front of the air purifier, they collect common household germs, dust, and other thick airborne particles.
Even better than that?
Cleaning these blades is ridiculously quick and easy.
How Do I Clean the Envion Ionic Pro Turbo Blade?
To clean them, all you need to do is:
- Hit the open button found on the top of the air purifier
- Simply pull the blades out of the front where they popped out of.
- Thoroughly wipe them down with a rag.
- Put them back in and they’re ready to go!
Pros & Cons
|- Good coverage area|
- Simple to use
- Energy efficient
- Easy to clean
|- No HEPA filter|