- Short & Sweet Winix C535 Review
- Breaking Down Specifications & Features – An In-Depth Winix C535 Review
- What’s Included When You Buy Your Winix C535 Air Purifier?
- Winix C535 Notable Features
- Help & FAQ
- How To Change Filters on the Winix C535
- What Filters Does the Winix C535 Use?
- Where Can I Find Replacement Filters for the Winix C535?
- How To Clean Winix C535 Filters
- How Do I Reset the Winix C535 “Change Filter” Light?
- Does the Winix C535 PlasmaWave Technology Produce Ozone?
- Can I Turn PlasmaWave Off?
- Where Can I Find the Winix C535 User Manual?
Short & Sweet Winix C535 Review
If you don’t want to read this whole review but still want the quick lowdown on the Winix C535, here it is.
The Winix C535 is a high-efficiency air purifier because of its HEPA & Carbon filters (the former used for particle filtration, the latter used for odor removal).
This efficiency is proven by the C535’s ridiculously high Clean Air Delivery Rate (~240). As a reference point, an above average air purifier will have a CADR of about 150.
Starting to see what we’re dealing with here?
The C535 comes with plenty of features that make operating it a breeze. Air quality sensor feedback paired with auto-mode basically puts this machine in autopilot – perfect if you’re looking for something low maintenance. An included remote control lets you operate the C535 from wherever you want and with an auto shut-off timer, you can decide how long it runs for!
Lastly, the Winix C535 comes with 2 years worth of replacement filters. This is a nice chunk of change that you won’t have to spend since Winix already did it for you! Adding on to these savings, this air purifier is Energy Star certified – It’ll help keep your power bill low by using electricity efficiently.
Overall Rating: 4.2/5
Breaking Down Specifications & Features – An In-Depth Winix C535 Review
Coverage: 360 sq. ft.
Power Consumption: 120 V/65 W
Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR): Dust – 243, Pollen – 246, Smoke – 232
Noise Level: 54.8 dB (at highest fan speed)
Weight: 17.6 lbs.
Dimensions (WxHxL): 14.9 x 23.6 x 7.8 inches.
Warranty: 2 years.
There are a few specifications on the Winix C535 that are really eye-opening.
The big three I noticed are 1) Power consumption, 2) CADR, and 3) Warranty.
I’m stunned at how low the C535’s power consumption is for how many features it has.
At only 65 watts for power consumption, if you were to run this air purifier for 18 hours a day (very high estimate), it would only cost you 45 dollars annually! (If you’re looking for something on a budget – check this out)
The Energy Star certification definitely drives home just how efficient it is.
Second, the Clean Air Delivery Rate on the C535 is insane. With a CADR in the mid-200s, you can be sure that the Winix C535 is putting in overtime to eliminate as many particles as possible.
The thing with CADR is that it’s hard to judge particle filtration effectiveness. In simpler terms – whether the purifier is collecting the smaller particles or not. However, because of the True HEPA Filter inside the Winix C535, you can be sure that it’s collecting these ultrafine particles! (More on this in 3 Stage Filtration under Notable Features)
Lastly, a 2-year warranty is a great cushion of reassurance for any potential buyer.
This 2-year warranty lines up perfectly with the number of replacement filters included with this air purifier. Since 2 years worth of replacement filters are included, you won’t have to buy any extras for a potentially broken air purifier!
You’ll be able to enjoy your C535 worry-free of any possible breakdowns or malfunctions!(and from what I’ve seen, there doesn’t seem to be any.)
- True HEPA Filter for efficient air purification
- Very high CADR
- Tons of useful features
- Remote controllable
- 2 years worth of replacement filters included
- Energy Star certified
- Not really any “medium speeds”, feels like 3 low settings and one turbo setting.
- Turbo setting is quite loud
- Can be confusing to use for first-time air purifier owners
- Low to Medium sized coverage area
What’s Included When You Buy Your Winix C535 Air Purifier?
When you purchase the Winix C535, here’s what you can expect to find inside:
- Winix C535 Air Purifier
- Winix C535 Remote Control
- 2 HEPA filters
- 8 Carbon filters
- Winix C535 User Manual
One thing I really appreciate about the Winix C535 is receiving 2 years worth of filters included with your purchase. Most air purifiers come with one of each filter included and that’s it.
Winix giving their customers 8 Carbon filters (each lasting 3-6 months depending on usage) and 2 HEPA filters (each lasting 9-12 months) means two things:
1) You’ll be saving lots of money not having to buy replacement filters right away.
2) There’s plenty of time before you’ll need to order replacement filters.
The packaging and everything included is straightforward.
There’s no extra doohickeys or thingamajigs so you won’t be asking yourself “What am I supposed to do with this thing?” like we’re at IKEA. (We’ve all been through the IKEA instructions struggle.)
When you open the user manual you’ll see it’s extremely easy to put together the Winix C535. There are plenty of step-by-step guides inside the manual that show you how to put the filters into the air purifier. You won’t mess it up I promise, they include pictures with labels!
Here’s a copy of the Winix C535 User Manual if you want to take a look for yourself. (Note: this is a manual for the refurbished version so the Package Contents section will appear different than what I listed in this section. Everything else is the same though.)
Winix C535 Notable Features
In this section, I’ll be going over features worth mentioning on the Winix C535 air purifier. (And there are quite a few!)
What’s nice about the C535 is that even though there are a lot of features, they’re all extremely helpful for the owner. Winix wasn’t looking to make the C535 a machine full of shiny gadgets that do nothing.
To get an idea of how useful the C535 is, we’ll go through each feature one-by-one and I’ll explain to you what the feature does and why it’s so great for you! We’ll start with its filtration system.
3 Stage Filtration
The Winix C535 has a three-stage filtration system that ensures top quality air purification in your home. Below are the three filters you’ll find inside your C535 and their functions.
- Pre-Filter – This is the first filter any particle being sucked into the Winix C535 will encounter. The main purpose of the pre-filter is to get rid of large particles before they go through to the Carbon & HEPA filters. By filtering out bigger particles before they get to the carbon & HEPA filters, the pre-filter increases the filter life of both the Carbon & HEPA filters since it’s doing the heavy lifting, a great secondary benefit.
- Carbon Filter – The carbon filter is common in most air purifiers as its main purpose is odor removal. The carbon filter removes odors, toxins, and VOCs in the air.
- True HEPA Filter – This is the crème de la crème. The best. The irreplaceable when it comes to air purifier filters. The HEPA filter is THE filter every air purifier NEEDS to have to be taken seriously. That’s because a true HEPA filter removes 99.97% of particles as small 0.3 microns. (To put it into perspective, a micron is 1 millionth of a meter, we’re measuring things that can only be seen under a microscope). The HEPA filter, with surgeon-like precision, removes airborne particles such as bacteria, pollen, mold spores, and dust mites without even breaking a sweat.
PlasmaWave is Winix’s own patented technology included in their air purifiers. It’s a system that produces hydroxyls in your air.Hydroxyls are particles that break down pollutants (viruses, odors, VOCs) at the molecular level.
This way, PlasmaWave helps keep the air in your home clean after being purified! This is a more proactive method of air purification and that’s why it’s such a great addition.
If you’re concerned about whether Winix’s PlasmaWave produces ozone there’s no need to worry. PlasmaWave technology does not produce any ozone. It’s been tested and certified by the California Air Resource Board (CARB) for this. (You can check here by scrolling all the way down to Winix and the C535 will be listed.)
To show you just how effective the Winix C535 really is, it has a Smart Sensor included. The Smart Sensor tells you the quality of air in your surroundings by detecting the amount of odor in the environment. Based on what the Smart Sensor finds, the light will produce a corresponding color!
If the light is blue, that means the air is clean. If the light is yellow, the air is decent. And lastly, if it’s red the air is poor quality.
The best thing about the Smart Sensor is how it pairs with the auto-mode, which is our next notable feature.
The auto-mode of the C535 is a saving grace for those seeking low maintenance. This bad boy can run by itself without issue.
When the C535 is in auto-mode, the air purifier adjusts the fan speed according to the C535’s Smart Sensor.
If the Smart Sensor is saying air quality is poor, guess what? The C535 will go to a higher fan speed to try and clean up the air, all by itself. What about once the air quality is good and the light is green? The C535 will realize the job’s done and lower the fan speed.
This feature is amazing if you’re someone who doesn’t want to be fiddling with settings all the time.No one wants to constantly be beside their air purifier telling it what to do.
With this feature, you won’t have to worry. The Winix C535 can handle your air problems all by itself!
If you hit the Mode button a second time, instead of going into auto-mode, you’ll turn on night mode! Night mode is a useful feature if you plan on having the Winix C535 in your bedroom.
When you activate night mode on the C535 the air purifier will do two things. First, the C535 dims all the lights on the control panel. Second, the C535 lowers its fan speed to the lowest level.
The benefits of this mode are huge if you’re looking for a good night’s rest. By having the air purifier reduce its brightness and noise level, there’s no doubt you’ll be able to sleep peacefully & enjoy clean air!
Here’s another crazy convenient mini-feature:
When the C535 is in auto-mode, if the light sensor detects that the room is dark, the C535 will automatically shift into night mode.
I’m constantly blown away by the feedback this air purifier gives you and how it’ll make adjustments accordingly, all by itself. It’s incredible.
Note: When in night mode, the C535 turns off the air quality indicator light as part of dimming the control panel.
1/4/8 Hour Timer
Doubling down on being a low maintenance air purifier, the C535 also has a timer that can be set so that it can shut off by itself! This timer can be set for 1, 4, or 8 hours.
This feature is convenient because sometimes you don’t need the air purifier to be on 24/7, that’s when the timer comes in handy. Here are just a few scenarios I can think of where you’ll find the timer useful:
- If you don’t like having the air purifier on while you’re home. Example – before you go to work, set the timer for 8 hours and voila! You’ll come home, the C535 will be off, and your air will be clean as ever!
- Enjoy having white noise while you fall asleep? Easy! Just set the timer for 1 or 4 hours and fall asleep to the quiet humming. 🙂
- Cooking in the kitchen and don’t want odors? A 1-hour timer will quickly do the trick.
I’m sure by just reading these scenarios you’ve already thought of many more where you’d find this feature useful.
Auto shut-off timers are without a doubt one of the most underrated features on air purifiers. Once you have it you begin to realize just how convenient it is.
Ah, the remote control, one of the greatest inventions modern technology has given us.
You can’t imagine having a TV without a remote, so why not for your air purifier? Nobody likes standing up after they’ve just sat down.
Winix is already way ahead of you! With their already included remote control you’ll be able to do the following:
- Turn the air purifier on or off
- Adjust the fan speeds
- Turn on Auto-mode
- Turn on Turbo-mode, instantly setting the fan speed to its highest setting
While you won’t have access to everything you could do on the C535’s panel, you still can get the Winix C535 to do basic functions remotely plus a little more! (Auto-mode is always a great choice when using the remote!)
Did I mention the remote comes with a wall-mounting cradle?! You’ll never have to worry about misplacing the remote because you can always put it right back in its spot!
Help & FAQ
How To Change Filters on the Winix C535
Here is a step-by-step on how to remove and replace the filters for your Winix C535 (pulled from the Winix C535 User Manual pages 14-15):
- Turn the unit off before removing any filters.
- Remove the front panel by grabbing its upper edge and gently pulling towards you. The latches on the bottom of the air purifier should release the panel if done correctly.
- Press on the Pre-filter tabs located near the top of the filter and remove it from the air purifier.
- Pull out the Carbon & HEPA filters.
- Remove the plastic wrapping from the replacement filters.
- Insert the True HEPA filter first.
- Next, insert the Carbon filter.
- Re-insert the Pre-filter by putting the bottom tabs of the Pre-filter into the slots located inside the bottom of the air purifier, then push the rest of the Pre-filter up until the upper tabs click into place. (You should hear an audible click for the upper tabs)
- Re-insert the front panel by inserting the latches at the bottom of the panel back into the air purifier, then push the panel upward until the magnets pull the lid closed.
What Filters Does the Winix C535 Use?
The Winix C535 uses three types of filters, they are:
- Carbon filter
- True HEPA filter
These filters and their function can be found in 3 Stage Filtration under Notable Features.
The replacement filters that the Winix C535 uses are categorized under a Filter size 115115. Replacement filters can be found here.
Where Can I Find Replacement Filters for the Winix C535?
Replacement filters for the Winix C535 can be purchased here from Amazon.
This replacement filter package includes 1 true HEPA filter and 4 Carbon filters, which will last you approximately one year.
How To Clean Winix C535 Filters
Unfortunately, you can only clean the pre-filter on the Winix C535. The Carbon & HEPA filters are not reusable and need to be replaced when used up.
To clean the pre-filter on the Winix C535 I’d suggest using a vacuum with a smaller brush attachment to remove the dust. If it’s still not looking clean, go ahead and wipe it down with a wet rag then let it air dry.
The pre-filter should be washed every two weeks to get the most out of it. Keeping it clean also helps extend the filter life of the Carbon & HEPA filters, saving you some cash!
How Do I Reset the Winix C535 “Change Filter” Light?
Once you’ve changed your old filters out and put in new ones, you’ll need to reset the “Change Filter” indicator.
To reset the “Change Filter” indicator you’ll need to use a thin object (like a paperclip) to press & hold the “Reset” button for at least 5 seconds.
Does the Winix C535 PlasmaWave Technology Produce Ozone?
No, the PlasmaWave technology found in the Winix C535 does not produce ozone. Instead, it uses hydroxyls which are completely harmless to humans, a much safer alternative to ozone (just not as fast-acting).
The C535 has been tested and certified by the California Air Resource Board (CARB) to be below ozone emission levels. You can find the C535 listed here in CARB’s list of certified cleaning devices.
Can I Turn PlasmaWave Off?
Yes, PlasmaWave can be turned off on your Winix C535. To turn PlasmaWave off, simply press the “PlasmaWave” button when the unit is on.
By default, PlasmaWave is automatically enabled whenever the C535 is turned on.
Where Can I Find the Winix C535 User Manual?